We are delighted to inform you that we have registered for the Pets As Therapy Read 2 Dogs Scheme. We would like to introduce Charlie who is a trained Pets as Therapy dog that belongs to one of our pupil's grandparent Mrs King.
Charlie and Mrs King will be visiting Barnett Wood on Wednesday mornings. Pets as Therapy dogs are specially registered dogs who normally visit in hospitals, hospices, care homes etc. Charlie will be visiting in a room away from the classrooms and will remain on the lead and under control at all times.
The effects of Pets As Therapy dogs in schools has shown a range of benefits including:
- Reducing stress physiologically (Cortisol levels) and increase attachment responses that trigger Oxytocin - a hormone that increases trust in humans.
- Increase in school attendance.
- Gains in confidence.
- Decreases in learner anxiety behaviours resulting in improved learning outcomes, such as increases in reading and writing levels.
- Positive changes towards learning and improved motivation.
- Enhanced relationships with peers and teachers.
- Teaching empathy and appropriate interpersonal skills.
- Development of social skills.
- Charlie will always be with his owner, Mrs King.
- Charlie will always be on a lead.
- Charlie will work in a quiet space.
- Children will be accompanied by a member of school staff.
- Children will spend generally spend between 10 and 15 minutes with him.
- Staff will ensure that children understand what Charlie likes, and help them to behave accordingly.
- Children will be able to stroke Charlie and reward him with a treat, but will clean their hands afterwards.
- Not all children will be able to work with Charlie, but we hope most pupils will get to know him as the year goes on.
- Parent consent will always be sought before children work with Charlie.
We hope a lot of pupils will be able to benefit over the Summer term from these sessions.
More information can be found below although if you have any specific questions, please do not hesitate to contact the school on 01372 272701.